Ah, numbered lists! As content, they’re proven link-bait; they’re merciful on readers’ eyes; and they’re an easy, go-to structure – maybe a little too “go-to” – for me and my fellow content writers. Here are 11 signs we might be addicted to writing list posts.
1. We keep a list of list posts we intend to write.
2. We tell our spouses or partners, “Here are six things you can do to turn me on tonight – and one you’ll have to figure out yourself.”
3. We’d rewrite the title of “Four Weddings and a Funeral” to “Four Weddings and A Funeral You Won’t Believe.”
5. We are bummed Listly.com is already taken. It was on our “domains-to-buy” list.
6. We get a secret thrill when Microsoft Word automatically puts a numeral or letter in front of our lists. How does it know?
7. We spend lunch thinking of “50 New Ways to Leave Your Lover.” But we can’t get further than #22, “Use the Lyft app, Hap.”
8. We try to recall the exact list of reasons “Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.”
9. We are envious of recipe posts because they by nature get to include ingredient lists. Damn them!
10. Our Bucket Lists include doing a podcast of Celebrity Bucket Lists. (Actually, I’d listen to that.)
11. To see this last, surprising sign, download my ebook… Just kidding. I don’t have an ebook to download.
Walt Jaschek has #11 on his list.